This guide will take you through the process that a user needs to follow in order to pay on your Portal, if your payment gateway is provided by Stripe.
If you need to set up Stripe as a payment processor, please follow the Stripe Setup Guide.
Good to Know
- As a Portal End User, Stripe allows you to pay via credit/debit card. If you are based in the USA, you can also pay by ACH.
- Both one time and recurring payments are accepted.
- Recurring payments only apply to memberships or invoices. Meeting Room bookings, Desk bookings, Product/Service purchases or Credit Packs are only payable on a one time basis.
- When making a recurring payment, Stripe will retain the transaction information you submit. Subsequently, the Operator will be able to charge you automatically for due invoices, using a payment token. Neither Operate nor the Operator have access to your submitted payment information, only to a payment token which is used to process automatic charges.
We will be using the Invoice payment flow to provide an example payment below.
Getting Started Making an Invoice Payment
To pay for an invoice via Stripe, please follow the steps below:
- Log into your Portal account.
- Go to My Account > Invoices. The Unpaid tab will automatically be selected.
- Choose the Invoice that you would like to pay and click the Pay link.
- Next, you will have the option to: View your Invoice, Make a one time payment or Make a recurring payment. We will now go through each of them, in detail.
Viewing Your Invoice Before Paying
To do so, simply click the View Invoice option on your screen, as shown above.
You will be taken to a preview of your invoice and you can return to the payment screen by clicking Back once you are ready.
Making a One Time Payment
To make a One Time Payment, click the corresponding option on your invoice payment screen.
You will now be taken to a Stripe payment page, where you will need to submit your payment information. (Please see below for details about this page.)
Making a one time payment means that you will need to log into your Portal account and make a one time payment for each outstanding invoice.
Making a Recurring Payment
Click the Recurring payment option on your screen, as seen below.
You will now be taken to the Stripe payment page, where you can submit your information and complete the transaction.
Making a recurring payment means that Stripe will retain your account information and will allow the building Operator to charge you on this account, during each billing cycle, for the amount due. You will no longer need to pay invoices yourself.
The Stripe Payment Page
This page requires some basic information in order to complete your transactions. The page is the same, regardless of whether you are making a one time or a recurring payment. The only difference is that when you choose to make a recurring payment, Stripe will save your transaction information to allow the Operator to charge you in the future. Your data is retained by Stripe, not essensys or the building Operator.
Stripe requires the following information in order to process a payment:
Fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory.
- *First and last name.
- Full Address.
- *Credit Card Number.
- *Card Type - Accepted cards are: Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard or Maestro.
- *Card Holder's Name.
- *Expiry Date (mm/yyyy)
- *CVV Code, found on the back of your card.
Click Review Transaction to continue. On the next page you will have the option to review your submitted information, go back to the previous screen and re-enter your details or move forward by submitting your payment.
Once clicking Submit Payment, your transaction will be processed and you will receive a payment confirmation screen.
Paying by ACH
To pay on the Operate Portal via ACH, using Stripe, you first need to add a bank account to your Portal account.
Start by selecting your username on the top navigation bar, then going to Payment Settings.
Select Add Account
Fill out your bank account details
Only US bank accounts in USD are allowed.
After adding the bank account, it needs to be verified. This verification is done via two small deposits into the bank account, that Stripe will automatically send. These deposits will take 1-2 business days to appear on the customer’s online statement. The statement description for these deposits will be VERIFICATION. Your customer will need to relay the value of the two deposits to you.
Once the account is verified, it can be enabled for recurring payments. Only one payment method can be enabled as recurring, therefore you would need to either choose your Account or Card.
Once enabled, your Account will be ready to use.