Enabling SSO for LinkedIn lets your users sign into your Portal using their LinkedIn Profile. Once they do so, their basic profile information will be pulled through to your Portal and into your Operate Backend, where a contact will be automatically created, containing the user's details. You will find the contact under Member > Contacts.
NOTE: The email address that belongs to the member's LinkedIn account, must be the email address in your Operate contact record in order for the SSO to work. If the member exists as a contact in your system, their contact email address must be updated in order for them to be able to log into the Portal using LinkedIn.
- Go to https://developer.linkedin.com/docs/signin-with-linkedin.
- Click on My Apps and sign in with your LinkedIn (or Company LinkedIn) account credentials.
- Click on the Create Application button.
Fill in the New Application fields (hover over them for help) and Submit
Copy the Client ID from LinkedIn (this is your API key)
- In Operate, go to Settings > General > Portal > OperatePortal and paste the Client ID in the LinkedIn API field.
- Tick to allow users to sign in with LinkedIn.
- Save your changes.
- Return to your saved App in LinkedIn and under Authentication, in the left hand menu, tick r_basicprofile and r_emailaddress in the Default Application Permissions section.
- In OAuth 1.0a, enter your Portal login page URL, both for the Accept and Cancel Redirect URLs.
- Click Update.
- Add the default URLs for operate.essensys.tech and your Portal URL
- Click Update.
Your Portal Members can now sign in with LinkedIn.
Information Provided to Operate
- Your LinkedIn and your Portal registered email addresses must match or sign in will not work.
- This following information will be pulled across from your LinkedIn profile and populated into your Portal profile to save you filling it in:
- Your Profile Picture
- Your current Job Title
- Your Job Description (called "What You Do" in the Portal)
NOTE: If you update any of these areas in LinkedIn after the first time you sign in to the Portal, they will not be updated in your Portal profile the next time you use it to sign in.