Mailing lists are a great way to organize your communication when it comes to accounts, contacts, leads and opportunities and email everyone efficiently. Using a mailing list, you can email everyone who is included in it by only sending the message once.
Creating a New Mailing List
- To get started, go to Member > Mailing Lists. Here is where you can find any pre-existing lists; as well as create new ones.
- Click New.
- Name your mailing list - Be sure to name it something that will later help you and your team identify whom you’re mailing; without needing to open up the list. In this guide, we’re creating a mailing list that includes virtual clients; so this is what we’re calling it.
- Check the Active box if you want to start using it right away.
- Save your changes.
- Now click the name of your newly created list to access it.
Here is where you can see the information associated to your mailing list and add members to it.
- The Information area shows you the list name and whether it is active or not.
- The System Information area displays who has created/updated the list and when.
- The Members area shows a list of people included in the list.
Mailing Lists can be updated with members by adding one or more filters, which retrieve the corresponding records. Therefore, you do not need to add existing Contacts to the list one by one; nor do you need to create any new Contact records here. Your contacts will need to be added to Operate first (see how to), then the mailing list filter will pick them up.
To add a new filter that pulls members for your mailing list, click the New button, under the Mailing List Filters section.
To get started adding your filters, name your filter and select an object: This includes combinations of: accounts, contacts, leads and opportunities. For example, to create our virtual clients mailing list, we will select Accounts and Contacts.
Now select filters, according to your needs. For our list, we will select the Account client type FieldName; equals as the operation and Virtual as the value. You can add as many filters as you need - simply use the Add New button to add more filters; or the Add Logic button to specify AND and OR conditions for your filters, which change the default AND relationship between each filter.
When adding logic, it’s good to know that:
- AND ties two fields together, so that your list contains both or all fields (e.g.: 1 AND 2 AND 3).
- OR will make your list display either one field or the other; depending on your selection. (e.g.: 1 OR 2 OR 3).
- You can combine AND and OR in more complex expressions; in which case you can use parentheses
- For example: If you would like to create a mailing list that contains virtual clients who have an active license and who either have a balance greater than £500 OR who pay by direct debit, you would set up the filters as shown below:
Save your filter when you’re happy with it. You can start over and add new filters to the list if you need to.
Updating a Mailing List
- Go to Member > Mailing Lists and select the one you want to update.
- You can edit the list name by clicking Actions and selecting Edit.
- Next, you can update the members that appear in your list, by selecting the items you want to update, then using the Update button on top of your members list; where you will find several elements that you can change.
Delete members by selecting them, then using the Delete button on top.
Using Your Mailing List to Send Mass Emails
Creating Email Campaigns
Once your list has been created, you can use it to send emails to the Contacts it includes. This can be done with the Email Campaign feature, which this article discusses in detail.
You can export your mailing lists to use them with external apps - simply go to Member > Mailing Lists and click Export.