If you use Xero as your Accounting Package, there is some configuration that you will need to do to prepare Operate and Xero to enable you to export your invoices successfully. Please follow the steps below.
Step 1. The Account ID and Account Name fields in Operate must match the Account Number and Account Name fields in Xero
Ensure that the Operate Account ID and Account Name (found in Member > Accounts) matches the Xero account/customer number and customer name respectively.
Step 2. The Email field in Operate must contain a valid email address
You will find the Email field on all Account records under Member > Accounts. You can easily see which accounts don't have an email by customizing the columns of your list view and adding the Email column, if there isn't one already.
Step 3. The GL Codes in Operate and Xero need to be identical
In Operate, you need to set up GL Codes at the Organization level, under Settings > Organizations > GL Codes. Operate also has to have the GL Code field populated on all Products, to match the ones in Xero. When you run the export for the first time or you add new products to either systems, please check Space > Products and edit any product that does not have a GL Code. You can use list views here as well to easily see which products don't have a GL code (you can add the GL Code column to the list - Please read the dedicated guide on Using List Views for more details).
Step 4. Taxes need to be identical in both Operate and Xero
In Operate, go to: Settings > General > Organizations > Taxes and edit the Standard VAT / Tax Rate. Here is where the Tax Code field will need to be set to match the tax codes within your accounting system.
Step 5 - Set Up Your Organization Specific Export
- Go to Settings > Integrations and open the Xero Export.
- Select your Organization on the next screen.
- Select Set Up.
- Next, select the date after which you would like to process payments.
- Enter your Tax Input and Output Type - Please see the tax types listed within Xero's documentation and use the one that corresponds to the type of tax your export requires, as well as your location. Our example below is using the Global INPUT and OUTPUT values.
- Select the Invoice Branding Theme you are using within Xero.
- Save your Setup when you're ready,
Once completing this setup, you can proceed with your Xero Export.