When using Two-way Email in Operate, it is necessary to set up a distribution email address. If you are using G Suite, Gmail or Google Mail for your internal mailing system, there is a specific way in which the distribution address should be set up. This is slightly different to Microsoft Exchange and other mail servers. Below are some tips for setting up and configuring the group for use with Two-way Email.
Setting up the group
1. Navigate to the Groups section within your G Suite Admin console and follow Google's guide on how to Create a group in G-Suite.
2. Enter your group's details and ensure that the Group's Email Address is the distribution email address that you are using within the Operate two-way email process. This is the email that people see when replying to your emails.
- Group name - This can be anything, but try make it meaningful, such as Operate Two-Way Email
- Group description - This can be anything, and again it is useful to make it something meaningful.
- Group email - Here is where you need to enter your two-way distribution email from within Operate.
- Group owner - Choose this according to your organisational needs.
1. You can arrange the permissions however you like for Group Owners, Group managers, Group members and Entire organisation. You will need to allow the "Publish posts" permission under "External"; and you can untick "View topics" and "Contact owners", both under "External" as well.
2. In the "Who can join the group" You can set this to suit your orgnaisations needs
3. You will need to turn on "Allow members outside your organisation"
Add the Two-way Email address from Operate to the group
1. In the groups console, hover over your newly created group and click "Add members"
2. In the "Find a user or group" area, enter the forwarding address provided within Operate and click "Add to group"
3. Click "Advanced" and make sure All Email is selected at the bottom
In the 'Groups" console, hover over your group and select "Edit settings".
Next, click on "Advanced Settings".
On the left side of your screen, drop-down the "Settings" menu and select Email options. Make sure none of the boxes in the Email footer section are ticked. Do the same for the auto replies section. Post replies should be set to To the entire group.
On the left again, drop-down the members section and select All members. There should already be two users here: your user and the user you just added.
You can check the box next to your organisational users and drop-down Actions, then Change delivery setting and select No Email to stop your user from getting the Emails as well.
Google made changes to G-Suite Group Settings on May 6, 2019 - If you need to double check your settings, please see Google's guide to these changes.
Activate Two-way Email in Operate
Follow the rest of the steps to complete the set up of your Two-way Email in Operate.
Please note that the Group Email address you use when creating the group will act as your Distribution Email in Operate's setup.