When using Two-way Email in Operate, it is necessary to set up a distribution email address. If you are using G Suite, Gmail or Google Mail for your internal mailing system, there is a specific way in which the distribution address should be set up. This is slightly different to Microsoft Exchange and other mail servers. Below are some tips for setting up and configuring the group for use with Two-way Email.
Setting up the group
- Navigate to the Groups section within your G Suite Admin console and follow Google's guide on how to Create a group in G-Suite.
- Enter your group's details and ensure that the Group's Email Address is the distribution email address that you are using within the Operate two-way email process. This is the email that people see when replying to your emails.
- Group name - This can be anything, but try make it meaningful, such as Operate Two-Way Email
- Group description - This can be anything, and again it is useful to make it something meaningful.
- Group email address - Here is where you need to enter your two-way distribution email from within Operate.
- Group primary language - Choose your language
- Group Type - Select "Email List" from the drop-down. This is closest to a traditional distribution list.
- Basic Permissions - Set all three permission types to "Public".
Add the Two-way Email address from Operate to the group
- Follow Google's guide on adding a new member to your newly created group.
- As the email address of the member, add the forwarding address provided within Operate
- Add a welcome message. This will only be seen by users who log in to access your Google Group
- Make sure All Email is selected at the bottom
- Complete the setup.
Navigate to the Group Settings section and select Email options. Make sure none of the boxes in the Email footer section are ticked. Do the same for the auto replies section. Post replies should be set to To the entire group.
Under group Members, select All members. There should already be two users here: your user and the user you just added. You can check the box next to your user and drop-down Actions, then Change delivery setting and select No Email to stop your user from getting the Emails as well.
Google made changes to G-Suite Group Settings on May 6, 2019 - If you need to double check your settings, please see Google's guide to these changes.
Activate Two-way Email in Operate
Follow the rest of the steps to complete the set up of your Two-way Email in Operate.