Calculated fields allow you to enter your own formulas to calculate values in a Report. This article will take you through the steps you need to take in order to create them.
- Log into Operate at operate.essensys.tech
- Go to Reports and search for the report that you want to add the field to.
- Click the pencil icon next to the report to edit it.
- Next, you will need to add a new field by clicking the "+" sign corresponding to the section that you want to add the field to. Depending on the type of report you are working with, yours might look different. Please see the reports overview for further information on the reports you can create.
- Once you reach the field selection scree, click the Add Calculated Field button, found on the right side of your screen.
- You can now customize the field you want to add.
Customizing a calculated field
- First, enter the field's label - this will be displayed on your report.
- Select the field type - The default type is 'Number', but you can create several types of fields, such as: checkbox, currency, date, etc. All of them will be available to select from the Field Type dropdown list.
- Use a numeric value to select the number of decimal places that you would like the field to use. This option is only available for number based fields. (e.g.: number, currency, percent, etc.)
- Check the Break on Group box if you want the field to reset to 0 after each group. This will only occur if the field is a number.
- Create your calculation using the field search list and the operation buttons displayed on your screen.
- Double click on fields in the list on the left side of the Syntax area. This will insert the field into your calculation area.
- Add operations using the dedicated buttons or the list available as part of the syntax section (in the right side list). The operations in the syntax come with short descriptions on how to use them - you can see them by clicking the operation once. Clicking a syntax operation twice will insert it into your calculation.
- Here is a simple example of a calculated field: We want to display how many accounts have an ending balance that is higher than 0. To do so, we select the [InvoiceAndCreditNote - EndingBalance] field from the list, enter the ">" sign, then type in '0'. We also ensure that our field type is 'Number'. We click Save to enable our changes. The Calculated Field screen would look like this:
- Once the field is saved, you will see a new 'Calculated Fields' section on your field search screen.
- Click the '+' sign next to it to expand. All of the calculated fields you save will be searchable using the Search box at the top of this screen.
- Tick the box next to the field to add it to your report. Please note that the field is only available for the specific report you create it with; it does not become available in other reports.
Once you add the field, your report will display the data that corresponds to it.