A Customer Account is typically created for an individual or organization that purchases any product or service from you, this could be a long term tenant, someone who books meeting rooms, an event attendant, etc.
There are two ways to add a new Customer Account within Operate:
- By converting a lead - Here is where you can choose between creating a Prospect or an Account. All you need to do to convert the Lead directly into a Customer is to select Account. Read more about Converting a Lead in Operate.
- Manually - To add an account from scratch, go to Member > Accounts. Here is where you will find a list of any pre-existing accounts. Click New, at the top of this list. If this is the first account you are adding, simply click Get Started. On the Account Types screen, choose Account. Note that this type is generally suitable for customers who have established a relationship with your organization.
The information that you enter on your customer account records will be automatically pulled into other modules, such as Sales, Licences, Invoicing or Reports.. Below we will discuss how to add the needed information to your Customer Account Records. Please keep in mind that this is the default Account Layout - if you have customized yours, you may see additional fields that have been added.
Add Basic Information
- Select the Owner of the Account - the person who is the main responsible for the relationship with this account.
- Add an Accounts ID - Choose a short ID for this account, this should be the same as your accounting package so that you can use this as a unique identifier between platforms.
- Enter the Account Name - This is generally the name of the customer company.
- Add the Email associated to this account.
- Enter the Telephone to be used for this account.
- Add the Location of the account - This is the building where the account holder is using your products and services. In our example image below, the customer is renting space in Chelsea Tower; therefore this is the location we will add to the account.
- Select the Client Type. The default client types are listed below. Yours may look and behave differently - please read about setting up Client Types to learn more.
- Residential - Clients who rent physical space at your location.
- Virtual - Clients who only require virtual services without renting physical space.
- External - Clients who rent meeting rooms.
- Club Member - A client who might rent on a longer term, but does not have a fixed space assigned.
- Add the Website associated to this account.
- Select the Industry.
- Select an account Start Date and End Date - The Start Date represents the date when this account becomes active into your system; while the End Date is when the account is terminated. Please note that Operate will only bill paying customers between these dates. No invoices will be issued before the start date or after the end date, unless you choose to bill old clients, as explained in Billing Settings. You should only add an end date when you know that the Account will no longer be active. The end date is the date when the relationship between you and the customer ends.
- Choose the Lead Source.
- Add the Company No.
- Add the VAT No.
Add Billing Details
- Add the Standard Payment Type that will be used to bill products and services other than rentals.
- Choose the Standard Payment Term - Select a payment term for product/service invoices, other than rental related.
- Select a Rental Payment Type - Here is where you can select a different payment type for rental invoices. This allows you to bill rentals and other products/services separately.
- Select a Rental Payment Term - Select a payment term for rental invoices.
- Print Invoices - Tick to print invoices for this account.
- Online Bills - Tick to enable online bills for this account. Online bills are used on your member portal and you can choose to enable this invoicing method instead of printing or emailing.
- Email Invoices - Check the box to email invoices to the customer.
- Invoice Email - Enter the main email address to which invoices will be sent.
- Invoice CC - Add a CC email address for invoicing messages.
- Invoice BCC - Add a BCC address for invoicing messages.
- Charge Tax - Tick to charge tax for this account.
- On Account - Check this box if the customer has to pay online when purchasing through the portal. If on account is checked, charges will be added to their bill; if not, they will have to pay immediately. This option should always be checked if the customer is using meeting packages/plans too. You can set up a workflow that checks this automatically if the a meeting package is added to the customer’s account.
- Include Itemised Bill - Tick if this customer prefers to receive itemised bills.
- Free Text - Add any free text you might need for this account.
Add Financial Information
- Enter the Name of your customer’s Bank
- Add the Bank Account Name
- Enter the Bank Account Number
- Add the Bank Sort Code
- Enter the DD (Direct Debit) Reference if your customer is paying via Direct Debit.
- Enter the Credit Limit that will be applied to this account.
- Add the Online Payment Token if your customer pays online.
Add Address Information
Here is where you can enter the billing address and registered address details of your customer.This information will be pulled in all areas where the account address is required.
NOTE: When you need to change the address of a customer who has an active licence, the change needs to be made on the account record; not on the licence; where the change will not work. If you change the customer’saddress details when first creating the Licence, the address information section on the account record will also update. This is the only time when it is possible to change account address details on the licence.
When you are happy with all of your account sections, click Save to complete your setup.