If you need to make changes to your reports, it is very easy to edit them within Operate. This guide will take you through the process.
Please note that you need to either be an Administrator or have editor access to the Reports module to be able to create your own reports. Please see Operate User Access and Security Groups for further information.
Please also note that these options apply to all report types. This guide uses a Matrix report for screenshot examples - even though the screen will look very slightly differently for other report types, you will still have all the options discussed below.
- Log into Operate at operate.essensys.tech.
- Go to Reports.
- Use the search box to find the report you need.
- Click the pencil icon next to your report to start editing it.
Customizing the Report
You can customize an already existing report by editing its fields, applying filters or adjusting visualisation options. These are specific to each type of report and are covered in dedicated guides:
Changing the Report Type
Once you build a report, you are not restricted to viewing the data in that specific format. You can change the report type and display your data in a different format.
Please keep the following in mind before changing the report type:
Some report types are more complex than others. A tabular report is simpler than a Summary; which in turn is simpler than a Matrix or a Chart. So, one report may contains a certain field group, while others may not. This means that you may need to add or remove fields when changing the report types.
Field groups included with each report type:
- Tabular Reports only contain Columns.
- Summary Reports contain Row Groups and Columns.
- Matrix Reports contain Row Groups, Column Groups and Values.
- Charts allow you to add Groups, Values and an X-Axis (the X-Axis is only available for bar, line and scattered charts. Pie, donut and funnel charts do not need it).
The field group.s that will not carry over when changing the report type:
- Columns from Tabular or Summary to Matrix.
- Column Groups from Matrix to Tabular or Summary.
- Row Groups from Summary or Matrix to Tabular.
- Values from Matrix to Tabular or Summary.
- Charts do not pick up any fields and will need to be configured from scratch.
If a field group is contained by both report types you switch between. then the added fields will carry over; otherwise they will not and you will need to adjust accordingly. The fields you add to your initial report type configuration will not be removed if you decide to switch back. This also applies if you save a copy of the initial report.
Fields will be lost only if you delete them and only from the report type you delete them from. (e.g.: if you start with a Summary, switch to a Matrix and remove a field in the Matrix, it will not be removed from the Summary).
How to change the report type
- The type of report that you are currently using will be displayed as a button at the top of the report editor. Click this button to get started.
- Select the report type that you want to switch to, by double clicking the preview. (e.g.: if you are on a matrix, you might want to simplify and switch to a Tabular Report; or vice versa).
- Operate will now take you back to the report builder, where your data will convert to the newly selected format. You will also now notice that the button at the top is named after your new report type.
You can switch back to the initial report if you like; or you can select a third and even a fourth type, depending on your needs. Just keep in mind the field group criteria mentioned above. You can save your report, or create a copy.
Changing the Report's Datasource
It is also possible to modify your report so that it works with different data.
- Start by clicking the Datasource button at the top of the report builder.
- You are now taken to a screen where you have the option to select the new Datasource. Simply click a module to select it and connected modules will display in the next column. Save your change when you are ready.
Editing Basic Report Settings
The Report Builder comes with a Settings section, which you can access by clicking the Settings button at the top right of the builder.
This screen allows you to:
Adjust Basic Report Settings
- Rename your Report - Simply enter a different name in the Report Name field.
- Change the folder where it is stored in Operate. Use the dropdown to select a different folder. Folders make it easier for you to organize your Reports, especially when you have many of them.
- Add a Description - This description will be displayed in your list of reports, along with the name. We recommend using this to provide a quick snapshot of what data the report is supposed to work with or what business need it might fulfill.
Edit Printing Options
These allow you to modify how your PDF printable reports are being produced.
- Click Show Advanced Settings, under your basic report settings.
- Select your desired PDF Page Size: Letter, A4 or A3.
- Select the Paper Orientation for your PDF printable reports: The first option here is Auto (depending on the amount of data in your report, Operate will select the best fit - recommended to prevent unpredictable situations where your report does not fit the page in portrait mode, for example). You can also set your page orientation to Portrait or Landscape, if you prefer.
Download the Report as a JSON
You can integrate this report with the Operate API, using a JSON file. You can download it by clicking the 'Show Technical Data' link, right beneath the Print Options.
This reveals a link to the Operate API and the JSON text which you can simply copy.
Save your Settings
Hit Save if you are ready to save your changes; or Cancel if you want to return to the report builder without saving.